Monday, December 24, 2007

[The Life of Shaun #179] Happy Christmas 2007!

So wow, my third Xmas in the Olde World...  well, since moving here, at least, as last year I was actually at the Petronis' in Vegas having a delightful meal and cocktails on Christmas day. 

See, Natasha's and my first year here we were so excited about Christmas in London, and then Christmas came and we realised what a naïvité that was.  London is a city of migrants; 1/3 of the population is foreign-born (hi!) and huge portions of the native-born have internally migrated here.  Come Christmas time, they all go home, leaving the city to the newly-arrived hopefuls and the few sticking around to prosper off of us.  It is so dead in this country on Xmas and Boxing Day you can't even take transport between towns at all on the 25th, and very little on the 26th.  We realised there was no reason to ever spend another Christmas in London again and spent Christmas 2006 visiting sundry friends and family across the seaboards.

This year I am using London's realities to my advantage.  My very good friend Schnookums, who I've known since I was 15, arrived on Saturday to spend two whole deliciously slovenly, lazy, TV- and drinking-filled weeks with me to relax our way out of 2007 and into 2008.  We have honestly relished the idea of holing ourselves up in my flat with as much bad TV as possible and not leaving except for liquor runs for two days.  It's one of our favourite things to do together and, since I moved across one of the few bodies of water wider than the Hudson, we don't get to do it nearly enough anymore.  So we're stocked up on wine and groceries, and just looking to see what MTV marathon awaits us.

So, anyway, Schnookums, Mary Keany and I are heading to Lisbon for the New Year's Eve weekend, so wanted to get my holiday wishes out now.

Happy Xmas, everyone!

Cheers,
Shaun

--
Shaun Coley
Clerkenwell, Islington
London, UK

http://www.friendster.com/shaunism
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "The Life of Shaun" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to The-Life-of-Shaun-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/The-Life-of-Shaun
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: