Saturday, April 26, 2008

[The Life of Shaun #227] Ah! Now that's better!

I am sitting here in a very empty Rosebery Court, enjoying a much deserved Cobra beer (thanks, Natasha!).  Today was long, hard and tiring, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be - certainly not as bad as packing up yesterday was.  And there are two reasons for this.

One, I threw money at the moving problem, letting two people do it all while I sat back and read The Economist.  This?  Is the way forward.

Two, my friend Ronny went well beyond the duties of any friend and not only waited at my empty apartment from 09:00 in case a delivery came by while I was away (it did), but he also stayed for hours afterwards and pretty much assembled everything that had been delivered so far.  And this includes reassembling the coffee table I screwed up.  Twice.  My fondness for Berliners has increased that much more, and I didn't think that was possible.

The flat looks really good and I am over the pre-move stress and trepidation I was feeling yesterday and officially optimistic and excited again.  I met and saw more of the people who are moving into the building and everyone seems to be just around my age, so lots of young(er) professionals.  And there are two confirmed poofs and one more potential - this neighbourhood is obviously on its way up!

I am staying the night at Rosebery as I am meeting our landlord at 08:30 to close everything out.  Mary and I had Natasha, Chris and Lottie over last night for "last call" at Rosebery Court, which was a lovely mix of reminiscing, Veuve, American Idol, general chat and finally eating at the Greek restaurant on Exmouth Market we've been meaning to for over two and a half years (consensus: fabulous).  Appropriately, I believe it is the only place on the Market we hadn't tried to date.

It feels odd to be closing this London chapter - Clerkenwell is all I know of living in London.  But yesterday felt more like the closure; today I am exited to be done with the move, to get into my new place full time, find a flatmate and start the next chapter.  If it's anywhere near as amazing as this first one has been, I am in store for some great times.

Cheers,
Shaun

PS - I'll not have internet at home for an indeterminate amount of time at the new place, so if you need to get a hold of me quickly, write me at work or ring my mobile.

--
Shaun Coley
Clerkenwell, Islington
London, UK

http://www.friendster.com/shaunism
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "The Life of Shaun" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to The-Life-of-Shaun-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/The-Life-of-Shaun
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: