Sunday, December 07, 2008

[The Life of Shaun #303] Edinburgh

Lesson learned: do not go to a museum of optical illusions when you are hung over; weary heads and fragile stomachs do not appreciate the deceptions.

So, as you can guess, my weekend in Scotland was focused on the usual targets of my holidays: booze, boys and bed. I saw the inside of most of Edinburgh's gay bars and the bits of the city you can see between where I slept and getting to and from said bars. I tried to do a little walking around with my host Tomasz, seeing the castle from the outside and Princess Street for some shops. But it was pretty cold and sober for me, so we stopped that and got back to the drinking pretty quickly.

I have to admit, I left Edinburgh feeling a little bit disappointed. There's nothing wrong with it - it's a plainly nice, orderly, agreeable Edwardian city. It's just that from the way people go on about it, you'd think that Nirvana had been founded just East of the Pennines. I'm not sure just what I was expecting, but somehow I just thought there'd be more there there. My friend showed me a good time, though; in fact, I think I may have had more fun, since I am more amenable to Dolly Parton and tracks from Hairspray than he. Two Jack & Cokes were £6 and I got to see Diana Vickers voted off of X Factor. Sweet!

Two pics attached - me squinting atop the hill where the castle is and some earring holders. I was waiting by them while Tomasz bought a secret Santa gift and could not believe how many women came by and commented on how "lovely" they were. It was a very misogynistic moment.

Unrelated: if you haven't done so yet, watch "Paris, je t'aime". There are a few stories in it that I could've done without, but there are more good ones than bad, a couple that are great, and one that just really got me.

Also unrelated, Jim Halpert is perfect.

Oh, and no, I didn't get to ask any Scotsmen if they wear underwear under their kilts. Maybe in Glasgow...

Cheers,
Shaun



Shaun H. Coley
Shadwell, Tower Hamlets
London, UK

http://www.friendster.com/shaunism

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "The Life of Shaun" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to The-Life-of-Shaun-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/The-Life-of-Shaun
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: