Thursday, January 08, 2009

[The Life of Shaun #317] Off to Middlesbrough!

Middleswhere? Why Middlesbrough, of course!

I am going with two friends of mine from the MBA, Lottie and Argie. During the MBA I was watching a show on the BBC that was showing how five Northern industrial cities were trying (and failing) to recover. Lottie found an article that said that the cheapest street in the UK to buy a house on is Tower Green, in Middlesbrough. Later that year, in the annual countdown of best places to live, Middlesbrough scored dead last. This is somewhere we have to see.

So from America's prettiest city (though Seattle's a close fight for that title, IMHO) to Britain's worst in a week's time - I do get around, don't I?

Completely inapropos, for those useless knowledge junkies, I just read this in National Geographic and found it pretty incredible:

"For all of its allure, gold's human and environmental toll has never been so steep. Part of the challenge, as well as the fascination, is that there is so little of it. In all of history, only 161,000 tons of gold have been mined, barely enough to fill two Olympic-size swimming pools."

I don't know about you, but I always imagined Fort Knox and other such national troves to be cavernous warehouses full of the stuff. Now to know there aren't even two Olympic swimming pools' worth in the world? That really threw me for a loop, as they like to say in Illisota.

OK, off to bed with me. I can't seem to stay up much past 8:00 since getting back - I am quite enjoying this preview of my 40s!

Cheers,
Shaun

Shaun H. Coley
Shadwell, Tower Hamlets
London, UK

http://www.friendster.com/shaunism

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "The Life of Shaun" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to The-Life-of-Shaun-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/The-Life-of-Shaun
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: