Wednesday, January 06, 2010

[The Life of Shaun #380] The Big Freeze

As I am sitting here at my desk, I am watching the third accumulating snowfall of this Winter fall on Shadwell. (I was sent home early because of the "blizzard".)

The news outfits are dubbing this "The Big Freeze". Though I still think this is the hyperbole* of a mild climatic isle yearning for drama, this is definitely the coldest of my five Winters in London. For weeks, the temperature has rarely gotten more than a couple of degrees above freezing (self-patting on the back on deftly avoiding °C/°F confusion there). Every Winter we've had a day or two like this, sometimes even the better part of a week, but this cold has just come and stayed -- and will continue for a couple more weeks, at least.

The clearest sign that it's a real Winter? I've been wearing my cold New York coat.

This better not be portending a real Summer...

Chilly,
Shaun

Pics: The snow makes it to Shadwell; Kelday Heights from the DLR and the DLR from Kelday Heights.


*Current BBC headline:

BREAKING NEWS
FROZEN BRITAIN
"Armed forces helped stranded drivers."



Shaun H. Coley
Shadwell, Tower Hamlets
London, UK

http://www.nocirc.org
http://shaunism.blogspot.com

No comments: