Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Delhi

New Delhi was the last capital of British India and remained the capital after independence.  Its broad avenues, roundabouts and stately buildings belie the country it governs.  There's more to see in Delhi than in other cities, per the guidebooks, but it somehow lacks the soul and spirit of India, and least from the exposure I had.  Glad to have seen it, but I don't feel the need to return.


New Delhi airport has fantastic toiler indicators.

Un-Indian-like streets of the capital.

The effect of 16 million residents and an industrial base is clear in the haze.

The Indira Gandhi museums was one of the oddest museum experiences I've had.  If you're actually keen on reading about her life, it's the wrong place to go, as you don't have a chance to pause because you are swept along in the virtual conveyor belt of people filing through.  And the attendees seemed much more interested in the tall white guy than anything in the displays.

Some tall think in South Delhi.

Love the vest!

Ma Petroni and I were mini-celebrities; caucasian-deprived Indians were fascinated with us, and we will be in many family albums across India.

We saw this sign all over India - I've never wanted a Coke so badly!

Like so many other Aussies, the Opera House went to India to get spiritual and became the Lotus Temple.

India Gate.

Connaught Place, the commercial and social hub of New Delhi.

Ma Petroni and me at her birthday dinner.

There's military all over India; this one is guarding the Red Fort.

A swarm of birds randomly kicked off.

Old Delhi docs.

Old Delhi was a crammed maze of ancient streets; I loved getting wheeled around its crazy streets is a rickshaw - each street seemed to get smaller than the previous.

Old Delhi.

Old Delhi.

Old Delhi.

Old Delhi.

Old Delhi.

I went on a tour that explained the lives of the street children of Delhi and the foundation that looks after them.  In this pic, our ex-street kid guide, Satender, was explaining that the reason the Hindu gods are put on the wall is because the wall used to be heavily urinated on, so they do this to prevent people from making a toilet of the wall.

The foundation takes in about five new kids per day from New Delhi rail station alone.  They manage to get about 70% back with their families; the other 30% they try to get off the streets and into education or employment.

Modern filing...

Who needs the NHS?

The most local place I ate at - and no Delhi belly!

No comments: