Tuesday, March 04, 2014

[The Life of Shaun #496] Symphony of Sorrowful Songs

I've been tuning into Radio 3 a lot lately, rather than my normal go-to BBC World Service.  Radio 3 concentrates on classical, opera, culture, arts, as well as new works.  This morning, when I turned on my TV (which is, I suppose oddly, how I listen to the "radio"), this piece was playing, and I was instantly captivated.  It is stunning; I don't know how I'd never heard it before.

The piece the second movement of Henryk Górecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs.  The text is in Polish, a message written on the wall of a Gestapo cell during World War II.  For me, it's some of the most perfect music I've ever heard.


Cheers,
Shaun

__________________________________________________________________________
Shaun H. Coley | Shadwell | Tower Hamlets | London E1 | UK | shaunism.blogspot.com

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "The Life of Shaun" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to The-Life-of-Shaun-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/The-Life-of-Shaun
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Life of Shaun" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to the-life-of-shaun+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: