Monday, May 30, 2016

[The Life of Shaun #526] Sushil & the City

In February, Sushil and I went to New York for Schnookums' XXth birthday, his first trip to the US.  It was a quick whirlwind long weekend, as I'd eaten up all my holidays, but we managed to "do" all the biggies: 1WTC, 9/11 Memorial, Times Square, a Broadway show, Central Park, Pongsri Thai and Los Charritos.

For Rachel's birthday gift, I got us tickets to The Color Purple, newly revised on Broadway.  I wanted to go see it as the film version is my favourite movie, and my top Idol, Jennifer Hudson, was playing the role of Shug Avery.  She was great, but the star of the show turned out to be Cynthia Erivo, in her Broadway debut.  She was absolutely stunning - I've honestly never seen anything like that on stage before; she got standing ovations in the middle of songs.  Crazy, crazy good.  If you go to New York while she's in the run, see the show, but you can get a taste here.

Visiting New York after so long away always makes me pensive, filled with thoughts of my years there, and the amazing friends I met and still have there.  There wasn't too much opportunity for that this time around, though - there was a lot of drinkin' in Jersey to do - but it was still nice to show Sushil around America's greatest city so he could understand a bit better what's made me me.

Glad to have been a part of it, that old New York,
Shaun


Lower Manhattan from my alma mater



Midtown from 1WTC



The new One World Trade Center


9/11 memorial



9/11 memorial, and the new WTC Transit Center


The transit center is very sexy inside.



We managed to get on the selfie cam in Times Square.


We even found Sushil some snow in Central Park during an exceptionally warm February weekend.



Don't worry, Sushil, New York is supposed to smell like that.



Sushil, Schnookums, Dom (Rachel's beau) and me at her birthday night.


Genital Autonomy - It's a personal choice Shaun H. Coley ~ Shadwell ~ Tower Hamlets ~ London E1 ~ UK ~ shaunism.blogspot.co.uk

--
http://shaunism.blogspot.co.uk/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Life of Shaun" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to the-life-of-shaun+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: