And it's *SO* cheap. I only spent €70 the first day, and €20 of that was for the taxi from the airport - it's almost as if you can't give your money away. I think the most I spent on a pint was €2.70. And someone I met randomly told me he only pays €420/month for his great central West apartment with views of the Reichstag. This combination of affordability and a great city is something you don't come across too often; the only other obvious example I can think of is Montréal.
Travelling alone was a cool experience. I have to admit I didn't get up to much touristwise, but I love I didn't have to because I wasn't raining on anyone's parade. I did see the new Hauptbahnhof, which is pretty darn cool, and I did my little bit of shopping in Alexanderplatz, old East Berlin's 'centre', which, though adorned a little more, is still Ostiechic, and walked down Ünter den Linden, Berlin's pre-war pre-eminent high street. The Holocaust Memorial and Reichstag will have to wait for the next visit.
But now it's back to my London life. It's the wrap-up of the fiscal year at Morgan Stanley so I am expecting a long week ahead of me. Busy December ahead; this weekend I am here and can catch my breath a little; the week after that I am off to Middlesbrough with some classmates (a potential surprise contender to my favourite cities lists perhaps?); the weekend after that Schnookums arrives in town for the holidays, and then she, Mary Keany and I head off to Lisboa for the New Year's Eve weekend. I've realised lately my passport is filling up - I only have about four spaces left in it. I need to get pages added - and it's only five years old! It's been a good five years.
OK, bedtime here - the few pics I did take are below, the first several from my (€35/night) apartment I rented in Shöneberg. Did I mention Berlin is cheap?
(Don't worry Montréal, I still love you!)
Cheers,
Shaun
--
Shaun Coley
Clerkenwell, Islington
London, UK
http://www.friendster.com/shaunism
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "The Life of Shaun" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to The-Life-of-Shaun-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/The-Life-of-Shaun
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
No comments:
Post a Comment