Tuesday, 27 July 2021

[The Life of Shaun #582] Down the Shore

I am officially halfway through my nursing course, but I feel very far from halfway to becoming a nurse.  Judging by the upswing from part one to part two of the course, I expect next year will be a doozy.  For now, though, I am enjoying the view over Rachel Beach on the New Jersey Shore.

My original plan for this Summer was to use the time between academic years to rack up some extra placement hours to hasten my graduation date next year.  But this isn't allowed per university policy, so, for the first time since my first university, I have a Summer off.  I am using the time to do an extended version of the holiday I had planned for two Aprils ago, seeing friends and family across the (mostly) South of the US: Jersey Shore; West Palm Beach and Dade City, FL; Savannah, GA; Charleston and Greenville, SC; Memphis, TN; El Paso, TX; Albuquerque, NM; Los Angeles, then a whirl around CA, ending in Tahoe, before closing out the trip in Vegas in September.

One week in, with six to go, I am feeling good and relaxed.  The last two weeks of uni were full-on, with three exams and two essays submitted, and I really needed to get away from the UK for a while.  All the Brexit malarkey and the UK's ever-accelerating journey down the road to American-style nationalism and political discord are disheartening and exhausting; I need a break.  With apps and global news, it's impossible to be totally disengaged from what's going on, but it feels good not to be in it for a while.  I just hope seven weeks is enough...

Wishing everyone a Summer of zen,
Shaun



Sunset from Rachel's patio.



My version of sunbathing.  I didn't last 15 minutes.



"30 YEARS! (+1) but we missed the actual anniversary because of COVID restrictions last year. In 1990, @shauncoley and I met at Eldorado High School, playing clarinet in the marching band. A lifelong friendship was born built on our mutual love of sarcasm, Tchaikovsky, and cheese sandwiches. We've expanded our tastes and the friendship continues! Happy friendaversary, Schnookums!"

Shaun H. Coley ~ Holloway ~ Islington ~ London N7 ~ UK ~ shaunism.blogspot.co.uk

--
http://shaunism.blogspot.co.uk/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Life of Shaun" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to the-life-of-shaun+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/the-life-of-shaun/CAPtAq8JoJriViLKRJmjd31L3aF0k2QG5s-seSCjLJ%2Be3g0_tNQ%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments: