Tuesday, 14 February 2006

[The Life of Shaun #33] Like sands through the hourglass...

No, I am not going to wish you all a happy VD day... just a musing. I just had a lovely dinner with my flatmate and her boyfriend, wine, prosecco, wine, wine, you know, a normal Tuesday night... ;) But as I was doing dishes I realized where I was ten years ago.

With a comfortable margin, I had left Vegas.
I was very recently finally able to throw away my fake ID (I was Mike Odynski from St. George, Utah).
I was in San Francisco - at 54 Saturn Street!
I had never been to New York.
I had a car and liked having one.
I was about to get my first real boyfriend.
I was at my third college; and still had four more ahead of me before I got a diploma.
I lived on $800/month.
And, of course, I didn't realize how good I had it.

To many of you it might be a little silly and trite, but I can't believe it's been ten years since then... come next year it's ten years since I *LEFT* SF. This is crazy to me because, in most respects, my life didn't start until I got to SF, so now it's this mile stone that gets more & more distant. And now I sit here in my flat in London remembering then and it seems so, so long ago.

But on the other side - almost everyone I had around me that was important when I left SF is still important to me now, with many more amazing people met since. So I guess in some ways it really wasn't all that long ago.

But man, ten years. Shit.

OK, *FINE*, happy VD day.

Xo,
Shaun
--
Shaun Coley
scoley@gmail.com
http://www.friendster.com/profiles/shaunism
London, UK

No comments: